FCDI’s mission is two-fold:
• To provide a talent pipeline with training and certification programs for Science, Technology, Engineering and Manufacturing careers in the Tampa Bay and Central Florida regions.
• To inspire young people to become STEM, Manufacturing and Industry leaders by engaging them in exciting mentor-based, diverse and inclusive programs that build science, engineering and technology skills, inspire innovation, and foster well-rounded life skills, including self-confidence, communication, and leadership.
The way forward is pure and simple: Collaboration in our communities – leveraging existing resources where possible, and partnering with others, to develop new avenues for success and economic impact where needed, with the conviction that we lift as we rise.
FCDI is a member of the federally created ARM (Advanced Robotics for Manufacturing) Institute, the Urban Manufacturing Alliance and the DigiFabAlliance. FCDI works in partnership with the University of South Florida, St. Petersburg College, SOFWERX and other fine academic and corporate partners to deliver STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts & Math/Manufacturing) education projects and programs for all ages. This includes the annual ROBOTICON Tampa Bay event and the development of the Tampa Bay Advanced Manufacturing & Robotics Center (AMRoC
Seeded by an Argosy Foundation grant, with support from the St. Petersburg College Foundation, SOFWERX, and the Lightning Foundation and set to open in mid 2019, AMRoC – Fab Lab at University Mall will feature:
• Industry standard manufacturing equipment, including CNC, milling, lathes, drill presses, and more.
• A full-scale permanent FIRST Robotics Competition field for high school level competitions, FIRST Tech Challenge field, for middle and high school programs and FIRST LEGO League playing tables for elementary and middle school programs.
• Hardware and software to support K-to-Gray STEAM education through:
» Professional Development for educators including Curriculum and Standards Alignment resources, training in Diversity and Inclusion in science, technology, and manufacturing education and more.
» Programming, design and engineering classes and training for youth and adults.
Through our collaborative partnerships FCDI seeks to promote higher paying skill-based careers and learning opportunities to help people achieve personal fulfillment and economic success, and move us from passive consumerism to an active, productive, and creative economy.